Keep water bowls full and accessible
- Provide a cool shady spot for pets to rest
- Never leave a pet alone in a car
- Provide exercise either in the morning or late afternoon (or other appropriate
times) when it is cooler
- Don't walk a dog on a hot sidewalk it could harm his paws
- Don't cool a pet down with ice water, it can cause shock
- Be aware that pets can get sunburned, particularly light skin/fur or thin
- If possible provide a sprinkler or kiddy pool for dogs to cool off in.
- Make sure pets have a well ventilated cool spot to rest whether inside or
Summer Pet Care - A more complete look at Summer
Pet Care Issues. Published June, 2003.